Those of you who have been customers for some time will know that sustainability and environmental impact are extremely important to us.
This page outlines everything we are currently doing and still have to do to ensure that we tread lightly on this planet whilst still delivering beautiful products to our customers.
1. We will only use materials that meet functional purposes and promote product longevity.
Our bamboo muslin is soft, thermo-regulating and highly absorbent – ideal for muslin squares and natural baby blankets. It also has a tight, rectangular weave (as opposed to loose, square) which is less likely to catch and tear from everyday use.
Our organic cotton jersey is soft, stretchy and comfortable – ideal for baby clothing.
2. We will only use responsibly sourced, natural and/or organic fibres to make our baby products. This includes our bamboo, which is a man-made fabric using cellulose extracted from bamboo.
The only exception to this is the use of synthetic fabrics where they are required to improve garment performance e.g. waterproof PUL for our nappy bags / wash bags.
3. We will only make our baby products with factories that are vetted for safety, working conditions and environmental impact.
Our Organic baby leggings are produced at a Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified factory in Europe. GOTS “is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres, including ecological and social criteria, backed up by independent certification of the entire textile supply chain.”
This standard verifies the full front end of the supply chain right back to the non-genetically modified seed used to grow our cotton in Africa.
The bamboo for our bamboo muslins is farmed and processed into yarn at a GOTS certified factory in India. Whilst we don’t purchase ‘organic’ bamboo yarn, no pesticides or herbicides are used in farming and production chemicals are limited to meet GOTS.
You can find out more about the production of bamboo by reading this blog post - bamboo muslin vs cotton for baby.
The Organic cotton canvas for our nappy pouches is UK printed and sourced from a GOTS certified factory in Europe.
4. We will only use water-based, environmentally-friendly and/or OEKOTEX (class 1 for baby) certified printing processes on our baby products.
5. We will only work with materials that have been certified as safe for baby either through (in date) factory certifications and/or through our own testing.
We spot check our baby products annually with a UK based testing house to further ensure that they are free from harmful chemicals. This includes testing against the EU Toy Safety Directive which allows us to carry the CE mark on our natural wooden teething toys.
6. By 2021, we will only use packaging materials that are environmentally friendly, made from recycled materials, are reusable, recyclable and/or FSC certified.
Our mailing boxes, gift boxes and tissue paper are made from FSC certified cardboard, acid-free tissue paper and use environmentally friendly inks. Some of our mailing boxes also contain extra sticky strips so they can be reused by our customers.
We will recycle and resuse all cardboard and packaging materials that our received at our home office from suppliers.
Our laminated logo stickers need replacing with a more environmentally-friendly option as currently not recyclable.
We will only use paper tape to gift wrap your orders.
Ribbon used on gift boxes is not recyclable but can be reused.
7. By 2022 we will make 100% of our product range right here in the UK.
Whilst 99% of our current range is made here, the following items are not currently made in the UK and will be discontinued and replaced with UK made equivalents:
8. By 2021, everything that we send you in the post will only contain items that are either biodegradable, re-usable, recycled and of course useable.
All of our natural made baby products are 100% biodegradable (our organic cotton canvas nappy pouches are the only exception but are reusable as wash bags for adults)
9. We are already plastic-free!
All of our factories have been briefed to single wrap our products for shipment in one large plastic bag which is recycled on arrival. We do not individually plastic wrap our products for shipment as would be the case if they were produced off-shore.
We will only pack products in plastic if requested by the customer and will only use biodegradable plastic options to do so.
The plastic used to package our natural wooden teethers is made from corn starch and is biodegradable.
10. We will never burn stock or dump it in landfill.
We work hard to get the most out of our fabrics, often designing products using offcuts from others. Occasionally, we will also sell off our faulty pieces at heavily discounted prices as part of a promotion. Product or fabric that cannot be repurposed or sold is donated to charities and local schools for crafting.
We do not agree with fast fashion. Where possible our bestsellers will remain available for you to buy. Other items are 'limited edition' and will be sold down to the last unit.
11. We are already offsetting our carbon emissions and energy usage with every order
We UK make our products which reduces our carbon footprint since we bulk ship fabric and restock locally as opposed to overseas. This also supports our economy and minimises wastage.
We are a remote-based workforce and fulfil from our home office in Wiltshire, so no environmental impact from corporate facilities.
The majority of our products ship standard delivery, not express delivery, which puts more polluting vehicles on the road. We get very few returns, so contribution from this are negligible.
We have signed up to Ecologi to plant a tree for every purchase to offset any carbon impact from production through to delivery.
We will continue to work on sustainability - to protect our wonderful for planet for those we love the most. This page will be updated to keep you abreast of any changes.
Last updated February 2021.